Proof of Residency

When you come into one of our offices to title and register a vehicle, we are required by law to verify ownership transfers with a valid, government-issued photo ID for all vehicle owners. 

If your ID was not issued by the State of Montana, we are also required to ask you for proof of residency. Acceptable forms of proof include: 

  • Rental/Lease agreement for your Butte-Silver Bow County residence (signed/dated within the last year by the property owner/manager, specifically listing YOUR NAME as a tenant)
  • 2+ pieces of mail addressed to your PHYSICAL address in Butte-Silver Bow County, sent by separate entities (e.g. a power bill + a paystub)
  • Paid property tax record (for a Butte-Silver Bow County address, owned by YOU, not an LLC or a trust)
  • Warranty deed for your home, which can be found in the closing documents binder received at the time you purchased your home

If you have just gotten your Montana ID, even if it is the paper copy, you can use that ID to title and register your vehicles without having to provide any additional documentation regarding your residency. 

If you would like to learn more about getting your Montana ID, please click HERE.