The Public Administrator:
• Administers estates of deceased persons in instances where no qualified actor is available or willing to do so;
• Is appointed by the Court as Personal Representative or Special Administrator in certain instances according to statute;
• May be appointed as a Public Guardian of a disabled individual when no family or qualified actor is available or willing to do so;
• When appointed, is a fiduciary with powers and duties of the personal representative, or guardian/conservator until discharged or authority is terminated by order of court;
• Conducts research for location of heirs;
• Office is governed by Montana Code Annotated Section 72-15-101, et seq.